Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pavlova!

I absolutely love pavlova, along with lemon meringue its my favourite dessert. I just loove the chewy meringue part, the fresh fruit toppings too, though you can leave banana out for me....whats your favourite pavlova topping? go on have some, its delicious







4-6 egg whites
pinch salt
8oz castor sugar/sugar (equal parts)
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 level teaspoons cornflour

(Please note the following equivalents:
castor sugar or fine/super fine sugar
corn flour or cornstarch)

Preheat oven to 400F(200C).
Lightly grease oven tray, line with baking paper or use non-stick cooking spray.

Beat the whites of eggs with a pinch of salt until stiff (until peaks form).
Continue beating, gradually adding sugar, vinegar and vanilla, until of thick consistency.
Lightly fold in cornflour.

Pile mixture into circular shape, making hollow in centre for filling.
(Mixture will swell during cooking)
Electric oven: turn oven to 250F (130C) and bake undisturbed for 1 1/2 hours.
Gas oven: bake at 400F (200C) for ten minutes, then turn oven to 250F (130C) and bake a further hour.
(Fan forced oven: temperature and time needs to be adjusted accordingly.)
Turn oven off, leave pavlova in oven until cool.

Top with whipped cream and decorate with fruit as desired.



I'm sharing with
Cozy Home Scenes 
Mix It Up Monday
Full Plate Thursday
Crazy Sweet Tuesday
Rock 'N Share Party
Freestyle Fridays
Tastetastic Thursdays




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My long long twin! I'm shocked there is someone else who doesn't like bananas. Everyone but me likes them on everything and can't understand why I don't.

I don't remember if I've ever had pavlova, but yours looks really good. Thanks for teaching us how to make it and also for joining my party!

Heirloom treasures said...

mmmmm I wrote down your recipe,its better than mine, I love all the berries and fresh cream on mine. ooooh can't wait to make one,I have a few egg whites in the fridge from another recipe.
Thank you for your visit and nice commment.

x jeanetteann

Bridget said...

Shannon, thank you. LOL re bananas, I think there something you either really like or you don't. :)

Jeanetteann, yum berries, love them especially raspberries and blackberries. :)

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

This looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

Gina said...

This looks so delicious! I've never had pavlova before and would like to give it a try.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I'm just smiling here... I just read Shannon's comments and now I must say that the three of us must be long lost triplets!! I can't stand to eat a banana (raw), but can eat baked goods with bananas. Poor hubby has to wrap the peel in a plastic bag because I can't take the smell.

Haydn and Kristy @ Taste Buds said...

i have to be honest - im not much of a pavlova fan. the texture creeps me out a bit. that being said, i love your toppings! :)

thanks for stopping by - i look forward to seeing more of you!

K.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

I've never made pavlova but this makes me want to try! It's beautiful!

Miz Helen said...

Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great Spring week end and come back to see me real soon!
Miz Helen